Skip to content

If you are living in a rented property which is in a poor state of repair and the landlord does nothing to fix the problem after you have reported it to them, our housing disrepair solicitors may be able to help.

A housing disrepair claim will force your landlord, Council or Housing Association to carry out the repairs needed, as well as compensating you for any losses you may have suffered.

The law imposes strict requirements on all landlords and housing associations to make sure that their property is kept in a good state of repair, including the following:

  • Dealing with dampness and/or mould problems within the property
  • The boiler/heating system
  • The structure of the building, including drains, gutters, roofs, foundations, brickwork, windows and external pipes
  • Keeping the water, gas, electricity and sanitation including basins, sinks, baths and toilets in proper working order

What should I do if my rental property is in disrepair?

You must give your Landlord, Council or Housing Association notice of any disrepair. They will not be responsible until they know about the problem.  Make sure you keep written records of when you have notified the landlord of the problem e.g. email them / text them / keep a copy of a letter and get proof of postage.

When can I claim for housing disrepair compensation?

Once the Landlord is aware of the disrepair, they must carry out the necessary repairs within a “reasonable time”.

If they do not, you may be entitled to bring a claim against them for the losses you are suffering as a result of the disrepair.

Firstly, speak to one of our housing disrepair claims specialists by telephone or fill out our contact form and we will give you a call.  We’ll talk through your potential case and ask you to send through some photos of your disrepair problem.

Once we have received your photos, if we think you will be entitled to make a claim, we will advise on your funding options, including whether we can fund your case on a “no win, no fee” agreement.

Social housing disrepair

Unfortunately, social housing disrepair is common and you have a right to take legal action if your requests for repair aren’t met in a reasonable amount of time.

If you reside in social housing, a claim would be made against the council or housing association. The result of this may be compensation for the repairs and the effect that the situation has had on you.

You should follow the same steps as above and get in touch for any further legal advice from us.

If you think you may have a claim, contact our housing disrepair solicitors for a no obligations discussion about your case on 0345 900 5401 or fill in the contact form below and we will call you back.

    Request a Callback

    Send your enquiry using the form below and a member of our team will call you back when we can. Fields marked with an * are required.